Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer Day Celebrations

Yesterday was Pioneer's Day. It also marked the day 8 years ago when we left Anchorage, Alaska in what we now call the "ghetto van" and drove with the girls and very little of our belongings to start a new life in Utah. This "new life" was only supposed to be for a couple of years-long enough for Darren to get through graduate school. It is now 2008 and we are still in Utah! My feelings about this are mixed and much bigger than this blog space.

We celebrated Pioneer's Day with hamburgers and hot dogs at Darren's parents house. After dinner we retired to the front lawn to watch fireworks, which I have always been deathly afraid of. I have no reason for this fear other than a recent experience my brother told me about when he was 10 and "maybe" blew off his pants pocket with fireworks. So, my firework fears are really unfounded, but they are very real to me! So, to make a long story short, I endured the fireworks while Delaney, Addy, and the cousins lit the smaller fireworks. I endured the fireworks when Darren and his brothers started lighting the bigger fireworks-some of which were homemade. I yelled and quickly drove home when Darren nearly caught on fire when trying to light too many explosives at once.

Happier times before the singeing of the leg flesh and yelling of the wife!

The "mother-lode" of fireworks!

Delaney looks a little unsure about the situation-smart girl!

Addy looks mischievous. I think she loves fireworks!


No comments: